Pregnancy Ticker

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Canning Salsa

Many of the women that live out here have their own little hobbies or jobs that they do to keep themselves occupied, or things they have done for a while. One of the ways they reach out to the other women is by offering class, to teach what they do. I have taken a few painting classes that I have loved, and last week Shannon called and asked if I would like to go to a canning class. I have seen this lady's page on facebook and some of her jams look delicious so I decided to give it a try.

Friday, Shannon and I headed over to her house for a salsa canning class. There were eight women participating in the class that day and we had a great time. Dominique learned how to can from her grandmother when she was a very young girl and has continued it throughout her life. Being in Italy is great for her with all the markets and fresh fruits and veggies! She had two different salsa's for us to make that day, a summer salsa and veggie salsa. We used all fresh ingredients that she had picked up from the market the day before.

She split us up into two groups and we each worked on one salsa. Once we finished the first one we started on the opposite one. She gave us the recipes and the ingredients and well all got to cutting up something. She finished them off and placed the salsa in the cans. When the class was over we had made enough salsa for everyone to take home a can of each.

I had a great time and would love to go back again later and learn how to make some of her jams. They are delicious!!
Starting off the morning
All fresh ingredients!
Summer salsa getting ready to cook
Dominique canning the veggie salsa

Cutting jalapenos for our second batch of salsa

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment