Pregnancy Ticker

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Family Time - CPO SEL Picnic

Saturday was a very busy day for both John and I, although my day was a little less hectic than his was. We both woke up around 7:45 to start the day. John was very excited about getting to sleep in past 5 am, the time he had been getting up all week long.

We both had different places we had to be that morning, but both relating to him making ETC SEL. The Fleet Master Chief and his wife held a breakfast for all the Selectees Spouses. I was a little nervous about going but being the good supportive wife I am I went. Once it started I was very glad I decided to go. I got to meet some really nice wives that are going through the same things I am going through, and it was just good to talk to them and realize that it is not just John and I. While the breakfast was very good along with the conversation, there were 3 people there to talk to us about what was happening in our lives at this moment. Amy, Master Chief Levault's wife had some very encouraging words for us, then one of the Chiefs, that is in charge of CPO SEL induction, and the Master Chief Kelly, who is also in charge of the induction, where there to explain more about what was going on and what to expect for the next few weeks. Although it wasn't exactly what we all wanted to hear it was nice for them to sit us down and give us a heads up.

For those of you that don't know, John's schedule is pretty unbearable at the moment. He has been taken off his normal work schedule and thrown into CPO SEL schedule. He normally leaves the house around 5:30am and I don't see him again until, on a good day 9 at night. Then once he does get home he has a couple hours worth of homework to get done, so by the time that is done it is time to head to bed so he can start it all over again the next morning. Then the past few nights he has gotten in even later, last night was 11:30pm or so.

Anyways, back to Saturday. While I was enjoying myself at the breakfast, John was busy at work with the rest of the SEL's. They were holding a BBQ fundraiser in front of the NEX. They were there from 9am to about 2:30pm selling hamburgers, hot dogs and brats to any and everyone that would buy them. They usually get a small break on the weekends from learning and PT but they are still busy with fund raising.

At 3:00pm that afternoon the Chief's held a BBQ picnic for the Selectees and their families. I was very thankful for this time, because it gave John and I a few hours together. Even though it was a busy time meeting all the Chiefs and their families, John was able to relax a little and we were able to enjoy being around each other.

However, our time together was short lived, all the selectees had to take off around 5:45 so they could get changed and meet back up for the nightly meeting. I was hoping this would be a short meeting but knew it probably wouldn't be, and I was right, John didn't get home until around 11:30 or so.

This is a very hard time for John and I, not getting to see each other much at all or even talk that much, but I remind myself multiple times a day, it's only a month long, well 3 weeks now. I just can't wait for Sept 16th to get here, that is his pinning for Chief, then all this craziness will be over.
Here are a few pictures from the picnic

This was when they brought all the Selectees and their families to the front so they could introduce us to all the Chiefs
Even with all the tents set up, it was still miserable hot
All the CPO SEL's getting ready to try and dunk some of the Chiefs in the dunk tank

They got to have a little bit of fun that day!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment