When John and I first moved to Italy, I told him that I wanted to take a trip to Tuscany (Region North of Rome) during the grape harvest season to watch them harvest and make some wine. Well that time finally came only we went to the Region of Umbria instead of Tuscany. Some friends of ours found a company, Discovering Umbria, back in June that rents out a holiday apartment and takes you on different wine tours. They absolutely loved it and have been telling us we need to try a trip up there.
I contacted Alessandra, one of the co-owners, a few weeks back and started setting up our trip. They only had a few free weekends left before December and two of them where going to be when we have some friends out here, so those weekends wouldn't work. We chose the last weekend in September and were so glad we did.
We started off our trip on Friday morning, early, with a train ride from Aversa to Orvieto. We drove by Orvieto a few months after I got out here on our trip to Venice and I told John I wanted to visit that town. Luckily we were able to fit that in with this trip as well.
Alessandra was nice enough to pick us up at the Orvieto Train station and take us to Il Palazzo del Gusto for our first wine tasting of the weekend.
The Church and building above the wine cellar
Orvieto is a hill town, which means the original town of Orvieto was built on the top of a hill away from the valleys of the mountains and other hills.
Todi is another hill town and this was one of our first views looking out over the valleys
No comments:
Post a Comment