Pregnancy Ticker

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Coming Home!!

The past week and an half have been a little interesting. As soon as we got back from our trip to the states John got a call from work telling him he was going to have to start traveling some. (Not real sure what all he has to do but he goes and meet boats that are on deployment and some other stuff. ) I think it is just a good excuse for him to get to see more of Europe (without me).

Anyways, he was told he was going to be going to Norway and they told him he was going to be gone for probably 3 -4 days. As the week went one and the departure date got closer his trip got changed from Norway to Scotland and he was going to have to be gone Sunday through Sunday. I wasn't too happy about him being gone for a week but it was only a week, we have done a lot longer than that before.

Sunday rolled around and he left for the airport. Things were going really good, I was getting things done around the house and working out and his stuff was going pretty smoothly as well. Then during the middle of the week I got a phone call from my dad asking if I had watched the news. Of course my answer was no and he went on to tell me about a volcano erupting in Iceland and all flights were canceled due to the ash cloud. So then I get on the internet and start looking it up and sure enough all the airports in Northern Europe were closed. At this point John still had 3 days before he was supposed to fly out so I was hoping the ash cloud would move on out and the airports would re-open. Boy was I wrong. Saturday night got here and John's flight was cancelled so he said they were going to stay in Scotland until another guy got through and the 3 of them were going to travel back together, so they were going to leave on Tuesday.

At this point I am thinking about what I am going to do for another week by myself. First off, we went to the commissary before he left to get me some food but I only got enough for about a week or so, so needless to say I was getting low. So I needed to get to the commissary to get more groceries and that brings me to my next dilemma, I had no vehicle. I haven't gotten my driving permit out here yet so John took the pick-up and just left it on the other base while he was gone. I walk up to the nex/commissary a lot so that wasn't a big problem I was just going to have to carry all the groceries back with me. So I ended up walking to and from it wasn't too bad, I was just glad I made it back, I ended up getting more food than I had planned on so it was pretty heavy.

Tuesday finally got here and John and his co-worker took a 5 hour train ride to, not real sure of the name but it was were all the ferries where. The ferry there were really wanting was already booked so they took a different one into Belgium. This took them about 14 hours all together and once they got to Belgium they went straight to the train station to see what was available. Well not only were the airports closed but the trains in France were on strike so they had to go around France and ended up in Zurich, Switzerland.

There were no trains leaving Switzerland that night (Wednesday) so they got a hotel room and waited till this morning. To make the trip even better the trains in Italy are on strike today so they were not able to take a train down. Luckily by now though some of the airports are starting to open back up.

He called and woke me up this morning and said he had good news and bad news. So I went for the bad news first and he goes on to tell me that he was already supposed to be home. Well, I had just woke up and was like yeah you should have been home like 4 days ago and he precedes to tell me that they were supposed to be on a plane from Zurich straight to Naples and were supposed to land at 8:15 this morning. Well something happened with paying for the flights or something, like I said I was still asleep when he called, but they missed that flight.

So they caught a flight to Munich, Germany (yes the totally opposite direction) and then they were going to catch a flight from there to Naples. I talked to him at 2:30 and they had boarded and are supposed to land at 4:30. So I can't wait. I hope they have a safe flight.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment